Wednesday 18 May 2011

Circular Life

I was writing a post in my head while washing up and giving Diddy-G his milk. The more I wrote, the more familiar it seemed. And I realised that I'd written a very similar post about a year ago on the previous blog. Sigh. So here's something else circular I've noticed.

The last week or so has been a bit challenging one way and another. I've had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about super-mummies and a bit of a general grump on about "life". It's reminded me quite a bit of how I felt as a student. Life is good, life is doing what I want it to do at the moment in that I am very happy to be at home with Diddy, to have made the decision not to return to work at all (for now) and to be expecting Martian (by the way, I don't think I've said, but we found out last week, that should be "Martian-ette"!). However. I feel a little "ghetto-ised". I spend all my time with mums with children approximately the same age. We sometimes talk about "outside" things but mostly we talk about sleep, eating, illnesses, new skills, new words...(I try to avoid these last two as much as possible, they are not good for the sanity.) It's all good, I have lovely friends, but it is all the same. I love going to church on Sundays because I see other kinds of people. Older people. Younger people. Single people. And that's how I felt as a student. You spend all your time with the same kind of people. There are differences, arts versus sciences, caring versus not caring (about the study) and of course different types of personality but all approximately the same age and all doing approximately the same thing and sometimes I just had to get out.

So I'm wondering what to do now about "getting out". I know part of the reason I'm "in" is that other people, not in the same boat, find those of us in this boat pretty much insufferable. "Do you know what little darling did today? That's right, he managed to eat half his yogurt himself - that's only half that he spread over me, over his clothes, over the table, over the floor and even a little on the walls! What an improvement! How clever he is!" But there must be something that I can manage in this increasingly fat, soon to be comatose all over again while coming to terms with night feeds, zero hours sleep, blah blah blah, that in some small way doesn't entirely revolve around my child(ren)?! I have a few thoughts. I'll let you know if anything interesting happens.

(Oh and by the way, you've had a narrow escape - having realised the post I was thinking of writing was darn similar to an old one, you've escaped some minor detours into the land of wees and poos!)

2 comments:

  1. Wee and poo stories are sooo entertaining, DO tell!!!!

    Yes, it's hard when you are stuck in one place that dominates your thoughts, conversation everything. It's like that with teaching! I am so boring, I talk about it all the time, particularly as my boyf is also a teacher! Orchestra, church and homegroup are refreshing changes from that, because I meet other people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I get a good wees and poos story I'll be sure to tell you (today's have just been unpleasant and not very entertaining!)
    I have to say the past week or two I've been wishing I'd gone for an orchestral instrument as I reckon being in an orchestra would be a very good antidote to being ghetto-ised. Maybe I should find a choir instead.(I went saxophone instead and it isn't so easy to get opportunities to play, especially when actually I realy rather like playing things like Bach rearranged for sax more than a lot of jazz)

    ReplyDelete