Sunday 1 May 2011

The things you pass on

What?! Day two, post two?! Shocking! Don't expect it to last!

Anyway. :)

Those of you who have met Diddy-G will know that he is a mini-Husbink, not a mini-me. There are times when he looks like my brother or my uncle or my cousin but only the briefest of moments when he looks anything much at all like me. Which is not a problem - though I do find it interesting when people make comments like "my goodness, I didn't realise til I met Husbink...he's the spitting image! ... Of course, Diddy-G looks like you too!" No, he doesn't.

But I have passed on other things to my son...

This weekend has been a bit tough. It's been about ten days since it's been just me and Diddy-G all day long but that's what we had on Friday. Husbink is on long days so leaves the house just before 7am and gets home sometime around 9pm. He doesn't see Diddy-G at all (except sneaking in for a bedtime kiss) and they both hate it. The only adult I spoke to on Friday was the check out lady at Tesco early in the morning. Add to that Diddy-G deciding not to really bother with a nap and we had on our hands the perfect recipe for an awful afternoon. However. The trait I'm currently aware of having passed on to my son is the desire to make people laugh. For him at the moment, it is really just a desire to make me laugh (since for a little longer at least, I really am the centre of his universe). So as the afternoon wore on, he started to be the clown. Rushing about, jumping out at me, squashing his face on the patio doors while I was the other side of them. And mimicking me. Particularly when it came to sitting down pregnant-stylee (collapse, sigh, rub whichever bit aches now, close eyes...). So then I would ham up my own sitting to make him laugh and he'd ham up his imitation...and so it went on. Instead of reaching bedtime utterly desperate to be rid of the monster, we just had a nice relaxed time with more giggles. I can't say I wasn't glad when he was in bed so I could put my feet up and sigh dramatically in peace but still, I'm glad he's caught this one off me. It makes him a whole heap of fun to be around. Sometimes!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jen!
    Welcome back to blogsville! I like your decor!
    I love it when kids imitate adults- they look so funny! It always seems like they are developing the humour part of their personality in those early stages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kezzie :)
    Yesterday Diddy-G imitated one of his friends, very fun indeed!

    ReplyDelete