Wednesday 4 May 2011

What's a brain?

Last night, Husbink wanted to practice the lecture he was due to give this morning on me. I wasn't really in the on zone for a lecture Advanced Life Support and specifically Acute Coronary Syndromes but what can you do?

Turns out, it was really interesting. Really, really interesting. More interesting than it should have been. I've picked up a reasonable amount over the last few years in terms of terminology and so on partly just from hearing about Husbink's day and partly from helping him revise. (There was a point when he thought I had as good a chance as him of passing one particular MCQ exam. This was not true.) I could follow most of the lecture fairly well and by the time I was hearing it for the second time through, actually had some (vaguely) intelligent questions to ask. (ECGs really don't make sense to me though on the amount I know about them currently.)

It was nice to be taught something. I had forgotten a bit that when people witter on about learning styles and how classrooms/lecture theatres need to develop new techniques etc etc etc the reason I think of it as "wittering" is because actually, being lectured to really suits me. So I can probably still tell you most of what Husbink said even though a reasonable bit of it (those pesky ECGs and something called ST or non-ST elevation were the bits that really foxed me) made no real sense at all.

It also slightly alarmed me that I actually found the content really interesting. Not in just a passing "ooh right" sort of way but in a really, really interesting sort of way. I refuse to allow this to be the start of the slippery slope to Husbink being right. (That would be being right when he tries to persuade me to follow in his footsteps career-wise.)

Nice to have a brain though, if only briefly.

3 comments:

  1. Hee hee! I can identify with this! I am really not a scientific person despite having a science heritage but recently I've found, when my Dad, a science geek, teaches me information,that I am really interested!
    That said, ECG's???? Zzzzzzzzzz!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap! Just came across from Polly, and find an identical blog to mine own ... brief spurts of brain activity are what we excel at around here - don't wanna contribute to global warming by working the old, soggy mass too often

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kezzie - Yeah, the ECGs really were beyond me...but the rest was good!
    Donkey - (if that is the correct way to address you!) Welcome! And what an excellent excuse for not using my brain too much. I'm saving the planet!

    ReplyDelete